Thank you for your interest in Friends Of Michigan Animals Rescue (FMAR). To help us determine the most suitable pet for you to adopt, please read the following information regarding our adoption guidelines and procedures. You will be asked to sign a contract when adopting your pet.
FMAR’s adoption prices are as follows:
Adult Cat – $80.00
Kitten ( 1 year and under ) – $100.00
Mixed Breed Puppy (under 1 year) – $200.00
Purebred Puppy (under 1 year) $300.00
Adult Small Mixed Breed dog (under 20lbs) – $200.00
Adult Large Mixed Breed dog (under 20lbs) – $175.00
Adult Designer Breed – $250.00
FMAR accepts cash, checks, money orders, Debit, Visa, Discover, American Express, and MasterCard. This donation helps defray some of the cost for vet expenses incurred for each animal, including but not limited to: spay/neuter, microchipping, de-worming, heartworm testing and treatment if necessary, FeLuk/FIV testing, vaccinations, and other medications as required. We try to do whatever it takes to insure you are adopting the healthiest animal possible. Please note that prices are subject to change without notice.
Please be aware that the animals available for adoption are rescue animals and, as such, have often been exposed to a variety of diseases. Like human illnesses these disorders can have an incubation period up to several weeks. If the animal you adopt shows signs of illness within the first 3 days please contact the shelter right away. If the symptoms occur at any point after three days, please take it to your vet for treatment.
Please understand that we will not place a pet into a home if any of the following apply:
- The prospective home currently has an un-spayed/un-neutered pet.
- The pet will be left outside unattended for long periods of time
- The pet is intended as a gift.
- Anyone in the household is afraid of the pet
- Anyone in the household is aggressive to the pet
Once placed, FMAR reserves the right to:
- Check on the pet at any time to ensure it’s well-being
- Remove the pet from the home if any conditions of the adoption contract have been violated or, if in the opinion of FMAR, the environment is unsafe.
- IF at any time you cannot keep your pet, you must return it to FMAR and not to any other individual or shelter.
- Pet Selection – This is the first step in making an informed choice of what pet is right for you and your home environment. The following are items to consider.
- Size of Pet – Is your home environment suitable for a large pet? If you live in a building with various pet controls, is there a limit to the size of the pet? If you rent, please bring a copy of your lease indicating that pets are allowed and what the limitations are.
- Energy Level and Exercise Needs – Does your home and surrounding area have easy access to a safe exercise area? If you have a yard, is it adequately fenced? Is your fence tall enough for the type of dog which you have interest in (many dogs can scale a 4 foot fence)? If you don’t have a fence do you have a plan for potty breaks? Do you have the time in your day to provide the needed exercise and companionship for this pet?
- Compatibility – Do you have children or do children visit often? If so, does the pet you chose get along with children? Do you have other pets – does the pet you chose get along with the types of other animals in your home? If you are adopting a dog and you already have a dog (s) at home you will be required to bring him/her with you when you visit. You will also be required to bring everyone else living in the home.
FMAR’s adoption application is used to match our adoptable pets with the best environments, lifestyles, and owner expectations. Please be honest when filling out the form and when talking to an FMAR adoption team member. All applications are reviewed by an FMAR team member for approval.
If you plan on attending an FMAR event, please fill out the form online or download the PDF. If you would like to submit an application via email, you can scan it and forward it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Please do not mail applications to FMAR as the animal may already be adopted by the time it reaches us.
Attend an Adoption Event to Meet an Animal
You are welcome to come to an adoption event to meet one of our adoptable animals. Please email the shelter at email@example.com with the pets name, and the event you would like to meet him/her at. Please send your request no later than three days prior to the event.
After the pet has been chosen and the adoption questionnaire approved, the adopting family will be given a packet and asked to sign a contract. Included in the packet will be the pet’s medical records, pet tips and other informational hand outs, including a packet with instructions on how to activate your free month of health insurance. Please make sure you check your email as soon as you get home and follow the instructions if you do not receive the email.
FMAR’s goal is to make your adoption experience a pleasant one for both your family and the pet. We will do our best to fit the right pet with your family. If you have any questions during the process please feel free to ask. All questions are important to ensure the pet and family have the best possible start as well as continued success.
Thank you for your support and for choosing FMAR to look for your new pet and family member.